Sunday, April 15, 2007

On the subject of learning to skate at the age of 25.

In the Snow Patrol song "Chocolate" (great song, great band, awesome in concert) there's a line " I can make my first steps as a child of 25." Well, lately I've been taking my first "rolls" as a child of 25. I haven't skated-or even tried to skate or considered skating-in probably over 10 years. The only times I ever went skating in my younger days was when a friend would host a skating birthday party. I would always go, hug the wall and fall down a lot for first hour, but by the end of the day actually make it around the rink ok. 

My reentry into skating actually involved no wheels. I attended an ice skating event. Luckily, I can say I made it through 2 hours of ice skating with only one major fall, and I had enough fun to actually consider getting the rollerblades that friends kept encouraging me to get so I could join them on what I considered socially acceptable attempts on their own lives. I broke down and bought rollerblades, which so far I have used twice. The first trip involved me going into the grass a lot (you can walk in rollerblades on the grass). The highlight (for everyone else) involved me and an apparently spectacular event with a mailbox (my apologies to the mailbox). Yesterday I went again, and I can happily say that I really didn't need the grass, and the trip was uneventful. 

So here I am learning to finally skate at 25. Maybe at 26 I can learn to swim ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home