Saturday, April 28, 2007

On the subject of 24:29...

Today I'm posting with great pride. It's been a long time since I've run a 5K; it's been nearly 10 years. I realize that I've gotten older, and my mind and body have already started that downward slide. I'm not a teenager anymore. Ten years ago my best time in a 5K was 22 minutes and some-odd-seconds (they could have been even, but I don't remember). I've tried to keep in shape a bit with occaisional sports and running a few times a week. Today I got to see the results of my "maintenance " exercise. Today, at the Melbourne Arts Festival 5K, I clocked in at 24 minutes and 29 seconds. It's not a great time, but it is one I am very happy to accept. I never time myself when I run and my honest best hope time I was going for was around 26 minutes. 

I don't know if it was the time, or the endorphins, but it felt good too. And there was free fruit at the end :)

I will admit that I did have to walk for about a minute. Not due to my legs, which were happy to keep pace, but my weakness is a need for more aerobic exercise. It was the cardio part that killed me, so I need to work on that. I think if I can last running the entire thing without walking, I can probably run it in 22 minutes and some-odd-or-even-seconds, and then it will almost be like being a teenager again (except it will hurt excessively more the next day).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home